Make every weekend epic with our free Weekender newsletter. Sign up today!

Miami chef Jose Andres asks whether Ivanka Trump kept him out of party

Miami chef Jose Andrés caused a Twitter kerfuffle Sunday after he tweeted about his being denied entry to an exclusive Washington party.

Andrés , who owns Bazaar Mar in Miami, suggested he couldn’t get into Café Milano because of Ivanka Trump. The restaurant, owned by Franco Nuschese, hosted a private, invitation only after party. Andrés , who attended the main event, wasn’t on the list for the restaurant party, The Washington Post reported.

“In Washington,” Andrés told the Post, “when you have these parties, everybody knows if you have an after party you are going in.”

Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kushner were at both events. Andrés spent nearly two years in a legal battle with President Trump and has staunchly criticized the administration’s stance on immigration.

According to the Washington Post:

After being denied entry into the party just before 11 p.m., Andrés, who by his own admission knew his name wasn’t on the list, was incredulous. Other guests were being allowed into the VIP shindig without having to flash an invite, he said. Andrés felt he was being left out of the fun unfairly and took to Twitter to make the injustice known.

That tweet, liked more than 20,000 times and retweeted more than 9,000 times prompted both Ivanka Trump and Nuschese to reach out to Andrés on Sunday morning. Asked whether Trump’s presence at the party kept Andrés out, Nuschese replied, “Absolutely not.”

“Thank you @CafeMilanoDC Franco Nuschese!” Andrés wrote. “I was a guest of the #alfalfaclubdinner2018 ‘everyone’ welcome to the after party, but I’m the only individual not allow in? Is because @IvankaTrump told you so? You should be ashamed of yourself Franco.@washingtonpost

In fact, the Cafe Milano owner had been trying to reach Andrés on Sunday morning, as the tweets and likes racked up, but didn’t have the superstar chef’s direct number. The two finally spoke Sunday afternoon.

“I said, ‘José, it was just a private party, and I’m sorry for the misunderstanding, and I’m sorry for the way that you feel,” Nuschese recalled. After their chat, Andrés corrected the record via social media, tweeting in part, “Now let’s all be friends.” He also thanked Ivanka for “reaching out” and said he believed she had nothing to do with it. Andres then suggested they work on immigration reform together.

Trump herself released a statement late Sunday afternoon as the echo chamber claiming she had something to do with the Andrés incident continued to ring.

“I am thankful for Jose’s clarification,” said Trump, who serves as an assistant to the president. “I had nothing to do with anything that transpired relating to him last night at the restaurant.”

From Puerto Rico to Miami, Jose Andres lifts spirits, palates »

Best Miami restaurant 2017: Bazaar Mar by Jose Andres »

Copyright © 2018, South Florida