“La La Land” did what 800-lb gorillas are supposed to do: dominate the Oscar nominations tally, pulling down 14, including actor, actress, director and picture. That ties the record shared only with "All About Eve" and "Titanic."
"Arrival" and "Moonlight" each came away with eight nominations. Ava DuVernay’s “13th” joins “O.J.: Made in America” among best documentary feature nominees, continuing our ongoing conversation about race in the United States. Speaking of which, with Viola Davis, Dev Patel, Octavia Spencer, Denzel Washington, Mahershala Ali, Naomie Harris and Ruth Negga getting acting nominations, the 89th Academy Awards will definitely not be so white.
The 89th Academy Awards will take place on Feb. 26 at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles and will air live at 5:30 p.m. PT.
- The complete list of Oscar nominations
- Meryl Streep's response to her 20th Oscar nomination: This GIF
- Are the Oscars still #SoWhite? A look at the diversity among this year's nominees
- How an underdog screenwriter got the 'Hidden Figures' job -- and an Oscar nomination
- PHOTOS: L.A. Times portraits of the nominees for the 2017 Academy Awards
- The Academy Awards through the years
- VIDEO: The Oscars aren't #SoWhite this time around
Thank you so much to the Academy for this recognition. Making this film was incredibly rewarding, and none of it would have been possible without the guidance from our fearless leader, Kenneth Lonergan. I am thrilled to share this nomination with Kenny, Casey, Lucas and the rest of the cast, producers and crew. Congratulations to my fellow nominees. It is truly an honor to be included among such amazing women in this category.